Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin + Jeti + V-speak = loosing my mind

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin + Jeti + V-speak = loosing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 08:47 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Swiwin + Jeti + V-speak = losing my mind

All right I give up. This setup simply doesn't work me and I'm going to fly my new jet without telemetry. Honestly I don't understand why this is so hard.

Hardware: Jeti 24, CentralBox 210, Rex12, R3, Swiwin 240, V-Speak telemetry module. Jeti firmware updated to last version

Problem: no matter what I do, I can't have throttle control and telemetry. I can use the turbine without telemetry but as soon as I add telemetry either in EX-Bus mode or Sensor mode the throttle is no longer working.

So if I switch v-speak to EX Bus, I can get telemetry to work but I can't control the throttle. Yes, I watched Jon from Lighter Side of RC's excellent video and yes I'm using channel 1 for the throttle. It makes no difference unfortunately.

So i switched the v-speak to "Sensor" mode, well the thing resets to that mode automatically anyway and if I connect it to a telemetry input port and connected the grey single wire to the throttle servo port, I get the telemetry to work but again, the throttle doesn't work being stuck at mid point.

If I remove the v-speak unit the throttle works fine connecting the servo port to the PPM port although I had to switch the CentralBox frequency from Auto to 8mhz but no big deal.

Any of you found a way to make this work? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Arnaud

Last edited by acw; 04-06-2024 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-06-2024, 09:23 PM
FlyJ

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There’s a new update from Vspeak that will allow you to use the single white wire as your throttle cable directly from your CB. Avoid all the throttle communication over the Bus.

Email Volker and he’ll send you the update.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:59 PM
harrycurzon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lost count of the number of times I have posted messages telling people not to use Auto output period. Swiwin's intolerant electronics or software cannot cope with it.

Last edited by harrycurzon; 04-06-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:26 PM
JSingh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyJ
There’s a new update from Vspeak that will allow you to use the single white wire as your throttle cable directly from your CB. Avoid all the throttle communication over the Bus.

Email Volker and he’ll send you the update.
I've been trying to find a way to contact Vspeak about an issue I have. What's their email?
Old 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harrycurzon
I have lost count of the number of times I have posted messages telling people not to use Auto output period. Swiwin's intolerant electronics or software cannot cope with it.
Thats true. It might work a while and then it doesnt. Set it to 13ms or something from rx/ cb whatever and it works.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:08 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

This issue is being discussed on the PowerBox forum. Apart from Harry’s advice you may find some help there !
Old 04-07-2024, 06:46 AM
FlyJ

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JSingh
I've been trying to find a way to contact Vspeak about an issue I have. What's their email?
[email protected]
Old 04-07-2024, 07:49 PM
flaz

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you only need to change the output period on the Central Box (leaving the receivers output period on Auto)? I'm still having inconsistent telemetry results from my Swiwin without a Vspeak...
Old 04-07-2024, 10:10 PM
harrycurzon

Originally Posted by flaz
Do you only need to change the output period on the Central Box (leaving the receivers output period on Auto)? I'm still having inconsistent telemetry results from my Swiwin without a Vspeak...
Yes. Only the Rx or CB that the swiwin/servo/whatever is plugged into matters. Never use Auto. Always use a defined number. Use that rule for everything not just with Swiwin. However you can ignore the servo output period on all receivers that feed a central box, powerbox, etc, as the setting has no effect on an Exbus data feed which runs at the 100Hz or 50Hz transmission rate set in the transmitter.

Last edited by harrycurzon; 04-08-2024 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:29 PM
start_zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
All right I give up. This setup simply doesn't work me and I'm going to fly my new jet without telemetry. Honestly I don't understand why this is so hard.

Hardware: Jeti 24, CentralBox 210, Rex12, R3, Swiwin 240, V-Speak telemetry module. Jeti firmware updated to last version

Problem: no matter what I do, I can't have throttle control and telemetry. I can use the turbine without telemetry but as soon as I add telemetry either in EX-Bus mode or Sensor mode the throttle is no longer working.

So if I switch v-speak to EX Bus, I can get telemetry to work but I can't control the throttle. Yes, I watched Jon from Lighter Side of RC's excellent video and yes I'm using channel 1 for the throttle. It makes no difference unfortunately.

So i switched the v-speak to "Sensor" mode, well the thing resets to that mode automatically anyway and if I connect it to a telemetry input port and connected the grey single wire to the throttle servo port, I get the telemetry to work but again, the throttle doesn't work being stuck at mid point.

If I remove the v-speak unit the throttle works fine connecting the servo port to the PPM port although I had to switch the CentralBox frequency from Auto to 8mhz but no big deal.

Any of you found a way to make this work? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Arnaud
Please read beginning from here:
forum.powerbox-systems.com/forum/index.php?thread/15436-vspeak-swiwin/&postID=98750#post98750
Our Swiwin VSpeak converter behaves similarly for Jeti (EX-Bus) and Powerbox, with both telemetry + throttle signal being transmitted via the bus.
With Jeti, the same servo channels for the throttle signal must be set in the transmitter and in the Vspeak.

If Jeti-Ex-bus is not used, but rather "normal" Jeti sensor telemetry (VSpeak in delivery condition), then the 1-pin cable must be connected to the respective throttle servo port of the receiver or the box used.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:49 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
All right I give up. This setup simply doesn't work me and I'm going to fly my new jet without telemetry.
Thanks!

Arnaud
Sometimes, this is the best solution to really enjoy a jet flight, instead of having everything possible being announced by the radio and causing distractions.
Wayne
The following users liked this post:
mongo (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:20 AM
acw

Thanks Volker. Hopefully this helps other people. On my side I have decided to use the regular swiwin telemetry and time permit develop a lua app to approximate fuel consumption based on pump voltage.

Last edited by acw; 04-10-2024 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:11 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Watch this video from The Lighter side of RC

David
Old 04-11-2024, 03:14 AM
acw

Thanks David. I did watch this video several times and it definitely has lots of useful information. But that did not work for me unfortunately.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:40 PM
flaz

Unfortunately I'm still unsuccessful in getting the telemetry to show up consistently (note I haven't been using a v-speak). I've randomly had it work several times, but it eventually stops. I've messed with different output periods (other than Auto) but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Any other suggestions or things to check? Would using a v-speak rather than the direct Swiwin telemetry improve anything?
Old 04-14-2024, 07:28 PM
acw

Hey Flaz. Here is what worked for me to make the Swiwin telemetry work with Jeti.

- connected my centralbox throttle servo the the PPM port
- connected my first RX (an R12) Ext port to the telemetry port of the ECU. That Ext port is configured as "Jetibox". I think that for some reason the trick is to connect it to a receiver, not the central box. Not sure why. Maybe it works with the central box port setup as jetibox. Haven't tried that yet.

I personally no longer want to use V-Speak or any device that requires the throttle channel to go through it. That makes that device a single point of failure.
I have developed a lua app for jeti that computes the fuel used based on the Swiwin pump voltage. I'll share that in a few days with the community once it is fully tested.

Arnaud
Old 04-15-2024, 06:41 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I have a similar setup… rex 10, r3 and a CB200

i had to use a R3 rx to setup the vspeak to be exbus.

then the vspeak is plugged into an EXbus port in the Rex10 receiver (which is plugged into Rx1 port on the CB200).

the rex10 port the vspeak is plugged into was set to exbus.

the swiwin ecu then had the throttle channel set to one of its available channels. In my case, i used channel 1 for throttle, then i setup the TX so function 1 was throttle. The vspeak was also setup so channel 1 was used for throttle.
This gave me useable telemetry and throttle channel useage.

i also have to use JB2 emulator to access the vspeak programming with it plugged into the rex10 rx.

There is something odd about the vspeak when you start mixing rx’s withs the central boxes that seems like it requires the vspeak to go direct to the rx and not the central box. I say this bc on another model that uses two R3’s and a Cb200, the vspeak is directly in the ext port on the CB200 and uses JB1 emulator.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:28 PM
acw

No more vspeak for me. Just posted a thread to share the small lua app I developed to compute fuel usage based on fuel pump voltage. You can get it here.

flaz (04-20-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:48 AM
flaz

Thank you acw invertmast & harrycurzon
My Swiwin telemetry issues have been tracked down. They were due to using R3/RSW receivers with the Central Box 210. Once I switched the primary receiver to a EX R7 and plugged the Swiwin telemetry directly into it (instead of the Central Box), telemetry showed up immediately. I have the R7 output period set to 8ms. This was driving me crazy, so thank you all for the tips about connecting the Swiwin telemetry directly to the receiver EXT port. ...I guess I now have an extra R3 ready for the next project
acw (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 02:25 AM
ledd4u

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My JetCentral unit and its telemetry unit works fantastic. Super cool, I don’t know of any other Jet engine manufacturer or developer having this colorful representation.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:28 AM
harrycurzon

Originally Posted by ledd4u
My JetCentral unit and its telemetry unit works fantastic. Super cool, I don’t know of any other Jet engine manufacturer or developer having this colorful representation.
You can have that for any telemetry, not just jets, by using the DFM Instrument Panel app

Old 04-25-2024, 05:23 AM
ledd4u

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sweet! Nice for my next non JC Turbine. I would just need the interface device. Thanks for your contributions on Jeti systems. I use them for all of my settings etc, again thanks.

Last edited by ledd4u; 04-25-2024 at 05:26 AM.