Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Spark plug question: One Elec Ignition gives one spark ... another EI gives a burst

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spark plug question: One Elec Ignition gives one spark ... another EI gives a burst

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug question: One Elec Ignition gives one spark ... another EI gives a burst

I have a problem with what may be a weak spark when starting my gas engine which has Electric Ignition.. It gives one spark per revolution of the prop... The other EI gives a 5 to 6 burst of small sparks in the same one revolution... This EI came with a DLE 30 about 4 years ago so an older one...

Has anyone experienced this different sparking? If normal... which would be best to use.... ? It seems to me that the multi burst would be better but a friend of mine does not agree and he says he has never seen or heard of a multi burst...

Thanks for your help... Richard
Old 09-23-2016, 04:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Run them both and see which one is best for you?
Old 09-24-2016, 04:18 AM
Richard39

That is a good suggestion except I am having problems with this engine and the carb.. also.... I am not certain if I am getting fuel to the engine or if the EI is faulty... both spark but differently... I will go with the EI from DLE first and work on the carb... The fuel may not being pumped as I have been unable to see fuel in the engine or on the spark plug.... have worked on it last night and will try again today....my concern is with the appearance of the spark as one seems weak to me.....and working on two problems at the same time is difficult...

thanks....

Last edited by Richard39; 09-24-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard39
That is a good suggestion except I am having problems with this engine and the carb.. also.... I am not certain if I am getting fuel to the engine or if the EI is faulty... both spark but differently... I will go with the EI from DLE first and work on the carb... The fuel may not being pumped as I have been unable to see fuel in the engine or on the spark plug.... have worked on it last night and will try again today....my concern is with the appearance of the spark as one seems weak to me.....and working on two problems at the same time is difficult. thanks....
Is the engine the with the EI that you are having the [problems with the 4 year old DLE? You say maybe you are having fuel delivery problems; have you rebuilt the carb (Walbro?)? It may be a bad pump diaphram in the carb? Is the EI being used on the engine it originally was fitted to, or has it been fitted to another engine? Good luck.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Richard39

I am going with pump diaphram failure and needing a rebuild... no the engine is not the DLE... I have three DLE's and they have been very dependable.... so I have the DLE EI that I will try on the engine and I will get a rebuild kit next week... will get back to everyone and let them know the progress....

Thanks to all....
Old 09-24-2016, 07:41 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think, to draw some better answers to your questions, it would help to know what ignitions we're talking about, and what engine we're working on.

Second, assuming you're working on a "won't start" scenario, and you're trying to figure out if it's ignition or fuel related, a shot of fuel (or even ether if you're in a well ventilated area) and a couple of flips should point you in the right direction. If you get a short burst of power, it's safe to assume the ignition is working fine. If you don't, maybe repeat the exercise and try again. If quiet still rules at that point, it's probably time to have a close look at the ignition.

Hang in there. You'll figure it out.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:27 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a problem with what may be a weak spark when starting my gas engine which has Electric Ignition.. It gives one spark per revolution of the prop... The other EI gives a 5 to 6 burst of small sparks in the same one revolution... This EI came with a DLE 30 about 4 years ago so an older one...

Has anyone experienced this different sparking? If normal... which would be best to use.... ? It seems to me that the multi burst would be better but a friend of mine does not agree and he says he has never seen or heard of a multi burst...

Hi Richard , I've seen quite a few two stroke engines over the years and never once have I seen an engine designed to have it's spark plug fired five or six times per crankshaft rotation . There is something wrong with that ignition box , IMO , and I'd be trying the one that gives one spark per revolution just as the engine needs to run . Bonus points if the one spark is in time with the piston being a few degrees before or after TDC per manufacturer specification . Think about it , with five or six sparks per rotation , one of those sparks is going to happen when the piston is on it's way to where the plug should be fired , but it'll be early , way early , and end up giving the same effect as badly advanced (early) timing would , just the thing you don't want when starting an engine .
Old 09-25-2016, 07:52 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you talking about a long duration spark like from a model Tee automobile ignition...Or what ???
Old 09-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Richard39

It is 5 - 6 small sparks... flash, flash, flash, flash, etc... will not use it at all..... it was in a box of parts from a friend... and I agree... would not use.... it is a throw away for the trash can.... thanks to all for the replies.... I am ordering a new ignition tomorrow... any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:43 PM
pilotpete2

Just a thought, are both of these ignitions RCXcell? if they are different brands, the Hall effect sensor may not be compatible with the ignition that is giving multiple sparks.
Pete
Old 09-26-2016, 02:03 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I ask that question (what ignition) back in post #6.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM
pilotpete2

And still waiting for an answer. We know one is for the DLE 30, but what is the other ignition from? The multiple firings kinda sound to me like a possible issue with the timing sensor.
Pete
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop wearing yourself out. Get the best. Dan.

https://www.ch-ignitions.com/
Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
Just a thought, are both of these ignitions RCXcell? if they are different brands, the Hall effect sensor may not be compatible with the ignition that is giving multiple sparks.
Pete
Originally Posted by ahicks
I ask that question (what ignition) back in post #6.

Hi again Richard , I do believe these two gents are 100% correct that if the ignition box is not a matched pair with the sensor that's mounted to the engine , It's very possible that the box is actually OK , and being falsely triggered the 5 or 6 times by being used with the wrong sensor .
Old 09-26-2016, 07:39 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
And still waiting for an answer. We know one is for the DLE 30, but what is the other ignition from? The multiple firings kinda sound to me like a possible issue with the timing sensor.
Pete
We had a Ignition in the shop at one time that fired multi sparks.Do not remember what it was off of.
I am not sure but I believe the RC Came Ignition fires more then one spark at low RPM or hand crank speed. Have ask Ralph or Milton.
BCCHI Tired old CH guy.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the RCAME ignitions will fire two times, they do it so fast you can not see it but you can hear it.

The only other time I have seen ignitions fire more than once is a while back when RCexl had some sensors that would fire as the magnet went under the sensor and then again as it passed the sensor.

Milton
Old 09-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Richard39

Originally Posted by bcchi
We had a Ignition in the shop at one time that fired multi sparks.Do not remember what it was off of.
I am not sure but I believe the RC Came Ignition fires more then one spark at low RPM or hand crank speed. Have ask Ralph or Milton.
BCCHI Tired old CH guy.
Sorry for the delay on an answer... been in the hospital since Sunday evening... home now.... I have tried three different E.I.'s .... One does not spark, one has a small spark and one does the multi sparking...

The engine is a SV 50 CC and has been working great for two years.. no problems.... The E.I.'s are as follows: Peagus, DLE, and S.V., and I would consider only the DLE as a good E.I., normally... It is the DLE that is not firing at all... I am going to order some good E.I.'s soon for this Engine and another engine that I have that needs an E.I....... and stop wasting time on the these off brand E.I.'s that came with two of my engines.... I have 3 DLE's and 3 Fuji's and they all are running great at this time....

The replies have been great and very helpful... I really appreciate your comments, etc... Thanks...

Last edited by Richard39; 09-29-2016 at 05:14 PM.