Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

bout dual esc (Hobywing WP-860) for dual prop thinking differential steering was pos.

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

bout dual esc (Hobywing WP-860) for dual prop thinking differential steering was pos.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:19 AM
Gadgeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bout dual esc (Hobywing WP-860) for dual prop thinking differential steering was pos.

Bought, sorry
What the heck? I would think when you advertise a dual motor (brushed in this case) ESC it would be able to control each motor individually. Doesn't seem to be the case with this one or any other I now done more homework on.

Is there any way to control dual motors with one ESC especially this one?

Last edited by Gadgeter; 09-24-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:54 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If it is just 2 ESCs in one box, they are right. These days, mixing is often available in the transmitter. In the advertising, I see no mention of built in mixing. , look at the price of the Action p95 (but bear in mind that the Action one quotes real, rather than imaginary, amps). As an alternative, a hardware mixer can be fitted in the boat. At the price, still a bargain for 2 ESCs, hoping for a free mixer is just being a bit hopeful. Next year, who knows?
Old 09-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Gadgeter

Its a dual ESC. 1 unit, 4 motor wires. 8 wires total. 2+motor, 2-motor, BEC, 2-Power.
I just thought the two separate motor wires could be controlled separately with mixing but apparently it acts a a single unit just delivering equal power to both motors.
It's advertised for boats but think they mean boats with a rudder. They just didn't specify.

not where I got it but...

http://www.rcmart.com/quicrun-wp860-...Path=1560_1021

Last edited by Gadgeter; 09-24-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Gadgeter

it appears to be a high quality ESC for the price. Found it for $32.

I'll probably just get 2 30 amp ESCs and mix that way
one to thr and one to rud

Last edited by Gadgeter; 09-24-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Gadgeter

This is the cheap factory hull that I'm refitting. Don't mind the temporary wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR2589.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2182725  
Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM
mfr02

Looking at the pictures in the link, there is just one signal input lead, so that doesn't give any options for differential mixing. Looks like it is just an ESC with built in distribution to 2 motors. Looking at the output and power wiring and connectors, I can't bring myself to believe the current rating claims. I have a single 60A one of theirs - again I wouldn't want to use it with anything pulling more tan about 10A, the instructions claim that it is good for 6-9 NiMH cells. It certainly won't work with less than 6, the 9 cell top limit says "No" to 12 volt systems.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:26 PM
Gadgeter

Correct. That's my conclusion. But I can't believe nobody makes a dual esc w dual control.
I've seen external mixers placed between esc and motor but costly. This is a toy hull that I'm beefing up with on hand parts (originally) I tried esc combo from copter that worked but not enough power. That led me to the hobbywing.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:20 AM
mfr02

I did mention the Action one that connects to the throttle and steering channel earlier, but for its size and capability, probably overkill. Mostly the prices of such devices reflect the fact that they are two ESCs and a mixer, and are not a lot different to the cost of buying the separate items. From the point of view of the seller, you have to factor in the cost of developing a new board against the likely size of the market.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 AM
Gadgeter

Yea, I think I'm just going to get two "cheap" esc's and split the power leads and connect one to rud and mix thro and rud