Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Anyone running Reed motors in there boats ?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Anyone running Reed motors in there boats ?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:49 PM
jd267
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running Reed motors in there boats ?

Would love to see what some of you Reed guys are running in your hulls . I run a few ts reeds Pum cases , one I fitted with a tiger king crank , other is a 5mm long rod 30.5 and my other is being built by TS as I type . I here some guys are running BZM micro Reed ? Is that motor available for purchase? Thx. JD267
Old 01-16-2017, 01:38 AM
crapshooter

Originally Posted by jd267
Would love to see what some of you Reed guys are running in your hulls . I run a few ts reeds Pum cases , one I fitted with a tiger king crank , other is a 5mm long rod 30.5 and my other is being built by TS as I type . I here some guys are running BZM micro Reed ? Is that motor available for purchase? Thx. JD267
Hi John, i used to have a reed engine made by Trevor Simpson, this would have been about 15 years ago but now it seems the piston port engines are the bee,s nee,s. the Zenoah moded 29.5 cc engines are really getting some fantastic rpms these days especially the new CC Racing Zenoahs which are super hot and records proove this. maybe the reed engines can,t match the high end piston port engines in r/c boats these days.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:20 AM
jd267

My 29.5 reed with ESP ported top end revs to around 20k to 21k spinning a 6717/3 blade in my Stryker cat 41 . Rpm is not a problem . Most complaints were low end power but you have to understand these engines were sold case only and guys would use there piston port tricks , high exhaust timings , third bearing witch creates vacuum leak and the list goes on . I don't have nothing against piston port I love my gzr and QD stuff but also love my ts reeds . There were only 75 or so made in the world so that's a problem also finding others who run them . I would love to see if this bzm micro reed marine engine is coming out . I figured this would be the place to ask .trevor has never built the marine engine as a complete motor. He is infact doing one for me as we speak . I can't wait to put it up against any zenoah base engine .

Last edited by jd267; 01-16-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Correctin
Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 PM
crapshooter

yes i must say the Reed Engine is definetly a fast engine , my son used to have a KTM 60 moto x bike and this engine was a very powerfull reed design also seen the power of a small Polini water cooled reed engine spinning over 30k rpm,s. i remember we used to try different types of reeds such as going from stock stainless steel to fibreglass to carbon fibre all with different flex strengths. test test test heaps of fun.
hey do you have a pic of the inner cylinder porting on your ESP head ? would love to see what they look like inside.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM
jd267

I'm a fan of Reed in general it's more modern and up to date . Both piston port and Reed are fine but you won't find a piston port jet ski or , dirt bike , or anything 2 stroke really besides a weed wacker
Old 01-16-2017, 05:29 PM
crapshooter

i wonder why the reed engine is not popular in r/c power boats ?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 PM
jd267

Well to tell you the truth only 75 of Trevor's cases were made one of them pushed a cat over 88mph with 26cc top end . I own three and working on number 4 . He stopped making them when he seen most did not want it around do to it being different and most don't have the money to spend and most just could not build a Reed motor to save there life's . Chris bartolone broke a record with a ts Reed Pum case and one of Bart's 26cc top ends . If you know Chris speak to him about if a Reed zenoah type motor is good in a boat . I for one find them awesome will killer top end . It won't beat a QD pioneer but it will run with any mod zenoah 26-32cc etc . I have two HT QD 25's with 1mm cranks and love them to death. My choice is Reed and QD . If you come across a ts Pum case buy it there worth $$$ to the correct person . If you own a piston port in the rc world your a joke lol. Reed induction is the must have in 5th scale . The boating industry is kind of stuck in primitive times compared to the 5th scale world if you ask me . I have nothing against piston port trust me when I tell you that . It's just funny when I here (the reeds will come apart in a marine application) that's just stupid . I have the same reeds in a engine (carbon fiber ) for the last four seasons with about 10 gallons on them . I flipped them once . The punishment the goped guys put them threw down hill forget it lmao . Those guys KILL those engines , push them way past there capabilities.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:58 AM
crapshooter

its a laugh when you look at that other forum jims joke dock at so many guys are getting there zenoah powered cat hulls in oval race trim i might add doing speeds over 80 mph. you look at the vids and the speeds look more like 50 mph but they have there onboard gps to prove the speeds preset at 80 or what i just don,t know. they should try a good reed zenoah mod engine and by rights the speeds should exceed 100 mph.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Boss 330

Originally Posted by jd267
Well to tell you the truth only 75 of Trevor's cases were made one of them pushed a cat over 88mph with 26cc top end . I own three and working on number 4 . He stopped making them when he seen most did not want it around do to it being different and most don't have the money to spend and most just could not build a Reed motor to save there life's . Chris bartolone broke a record with a ts Reed Pum case and one of Bart's 26cc top ends . If you know Chris speak to him about if a Reed zenoah type motor is good in a boat . I for one find them awesome will killer top end . It won't beat a QD pioneer but it will run with any mod zenoah 26-32cc etc . I have two HT QD 25's with 1mm cranks and love them to death. My choice is Reed and QD . If you come across a ts Pum case buy it there worth $$$ to the correct person . If you own a piston port in the rc world your a joke lol. Reed induction is the must have in 5th scale . The boating industry is kind of stuck in primitive times compared to the 5th scale world if you ask me . I have nothing against piston port trust me when I tell you that . It's just funny when I here (the reeds will come apart in a marine application) that's just stupid . I have the same reeds in a engine (carbon fiber ) for the last four seasons with about 10 gallons on them . I flipped them once . The punishment the goped guys put them threw down hill forget it lmao . Those guys KILL those engines , push them way past there capabilities.

You didn't get a hint when all the crap you talk got you beat up, and thrown off the biggest gas boat site in the world, Now, 100 percent of the rc world is a joke? 100 percent of the Racers that tried to run a marine reed engine decided quickly that they suck, Now you know the financial status of all the gas boaters? gas boats Are not 1/5 scale trucks. FYI smart guys figure out what works and what dose not. Three are a bunch of very smart guys in gas boating. You are not one of them. The guys tried to give you some education. They gave up. Before you declare yourself the all knowing authority on gas boats, How about speaking from experience. Go out and actally race your reed and your obsolete QD. You will instantly find out what you don't know after your ass gets handed to you over and over. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Boss 330; 01-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Boss 330

Originally Posted by crapshooter
its a laugh when you look at that other forum jims joke dock at so many guys are getting there zenoah powered cat hulls in oval race trim i might add doing speeds over 80 mph. you look at the vids and the speeds look more like 50 mph but they have there onboard gps to prove the speeds preset at 80 or what i just don,t know. they should try a good reed zenoah mod engine and by rights the speeds should exceed 100 mph.
You too! if your so sure. Prove it! Until then.. Its nothing but a fantasy.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 PM
crapshooter

yes boss your the man.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 PM
jd267

Here so far my reeds do very well boss . Others have as well. My HT have 1mm set ups so no there not obsolete. I also have been running cc racing engines , gizmo , my own also . So yes I have learned and taught my self a lot I have a lake 200ft from my house . Now I'm into riggers just got a warpath pro . Trust me I'm moving and moving fast . Remember we are talking about toys BOSS. Jims is a good plave if your in the click , some gave me advice on how my reeds don't work ! Says who ?some guys who set records 20 years ago .they Work great for me if built correctly so I take the bull by the horns and do things my way and doing well . Sorry I did not take your opinion and give up . Sorry that's not me . I'll be racing this season district 11 I hope to run next to some of you guys one day .. financial status is bottomless for me so I'm ok in that department but thanks for worrying and by the way I'm half your age bud .

Last edited by jd267; 03-10-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Tahoe1970

John , Which race you plan on attending ? I'd like to see how well these reeds are doing
Old 03-13-2017, 02:58 PM
jd267

I'm hoping to get into the CT race this year . I have 7 boats as of now and need to see what I have to run for engines to fit the class. I also run for fun I have a giant lake next to my house I'm not sure if you have been to Warwick RI lake , it's about 3 times as big and about 25 feet deep . I will be making vids for YouTube etc also . BZM should be releasing there Reed as well I'm interested to see how that turns out . Don't get me wrong I own a lot of piston port engines and love them but also love my reeds
Old 03-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Tahoe1970

I've run @ Warwick pond hundreds of times over the years , I'll keep an eye out for these reeds to be kicking some piston port azz
Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM
jd267

Yes I'm about 15 minutes from kilvert . I'll be down there this year for sure been talking to josh for a wile seems like a good guy I would like to meet in person . I will be running a few reeds and some PP motors one is my full mod I did . Back in the day when the Reed bottom ends were being sold by Trevor Doug was using some low exhaust port numbers and still one a few races , Chris bartolone set a record also . Now with the more advanced porting I'm hoping mine rip . One is a 5mm long rod 30.5 2mm stroke , other is a 28.8mm tiger king crank in it that measured the same squish bs the rcmk crank that came out so the tiger crank I have is more like a 1mm I used same piston also . Other Trevor simpson is building for me it will be a 29.5 . I picked up a cc racing 29.5 , two 30 plus motors also and built a few . I have cats to monos , a warpath pro , and a few large scale 72/56 inch . All fun fun!!! On top of racing real boats rc boats are for sure addictive!!! Building them is even better I learned a lot on my own and from a few guys I have met . Very cool
Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 PM
jd267

I also upgraded both my QD HT 25 to 1mm motors and those *******s rip , installed QD ceramic bearings in all my motors there awesome and a great price . Any of you guys with stock 25HT do the 1mm upgrade BIG difference in the low and mid and still spins same rpm .
Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 AM
wolfman01

Deleted.

Last edited by wolfman01; 05-13-2017 at 06:49 AM.