Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Belgian f16 flying demo-video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Belgian f16 flying demo-video

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belgian f16 flying demo-video

BEAUTIFUL FLYING DISPLAY AND NICE AIRCRAFT SCHEME,AFTERBURNER PROBLEMS??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p57R1Isuz4

Last edited by hmjets; 03-28-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 PM
chrigui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hmjets
BEAUTIFUL FLYING DISPLAY AND NICE AIRCRAFT SCHEME,AFTERBURNER PROBLEMS??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p57R1Isuz4

yes A/B problem ... there is video showing A/B blow and following landing
Old 03-29-2017, 04:55 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's no A/B blow.....those are flares followed by landing. That's how they finish their demo routine.

Saw the whole video and did not see any afterburner issues at all.....performing flawlessly.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:04 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
That's no A/B blow.....those are flares followed by landing. That's how they finish their demo routine.

Saw the whole video and did not see any afterburner issues at all.....performing flawlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x51UYlumFS8

The afterburner flame front is messed up the whole flight... definitely not flawless..
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 AM
FalconWings

That's a different video.

There is really no physical description as to how an afterburner flame should look like. It could certainly look different at different day light conditions. Engine was running fine, otherwise he would not be able to maneuver like that.

What you see there is a classical scenario of running into your own wake, causing inlet distortion and a short phased compressor stall. It is a lot more dramatic at full power, as he was. The ball of fire you see is simply raw fuel.The compressor stall activates the warning light, so the pilot probably aborted because of that.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 AM
mauryr

I am no afterburner expert, but it seems to me that this is a 'proper' afterburner flame (seen at night for maximum visibility):

Notice how the flame starts wide and full and tapers evenly

Now this is the afterburner from the first video in the OP (not the one I posted with the unburnt fuel explosion):

Notice how the flame is not full at the nozzle (maybe because of light? I don't know), but how it becomes wider as it's further away from the nozzle... It also looks much longer than the one in the first picture, considering night vs daylight conditions.
My guess is that this afterburner was already faulty in the first video and was not able to burn all the injected fuel. The extra fuel only burns at the very end of the flame.
The explosion seen in the second video looks to me like a puddle of fuel shot out by the exhaust and ignited outside the engine. Doesn't look like a compressor stall at all to me.

Anybody with real knowledge of this stuff care to enlighten us?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 23.33.14.png
Views:	755
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2207514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 23.32.16.png
Views:	89
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2207515  
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 AM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic....352199#p352199
Old 03-29-2017, 08:12 AM
mauryr

When a manifold becomes 'coked' it will affect it's ability to equally distribute the fuel around the circumference of the manifold. This will create high fuel-flow areas, and low fuel-flow areas within the augmentor. These fuel flow imbalances will then cause hot/cold streaks, or overly rich/lean areas of combustion.

Here's our answer!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 AM
FalconWings

"What I see in the photos of this post would lead me to believe the augmentor spray manifolds are 'coked' but without augmentor anomaly, (MFL/PFL or pilot reported) there is no reason to troubleshoot the streaking. Then again, they may have already been inspected and found to be acceptable according to installed engine (aka flight line) limits"

Again....there are no afterburner flame visual standards. If the engine runs fine, it runs fine. The ball of fire you saw was not afterburner related, you clearly see the short phased compressor puff. He landed because of that, not because the engine had any malfunction.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Finally is video that really is spectacular instead of the ho-hum videos so many post here and others call the spectacular fights.