Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Gasoline equivalent of a 4 stroke .62 glow >

Gasoline equivalent of a 4 stroke .62 glow

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gasoline equivalent of a 4 stroke .62 glow

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline equivalent of a 4 stroke .62 glow

I have a great planes escapade 40 and was planning on a .62 4 stroke but would like to try a gasoline engine. Would one of the 11cc engines be comparable in power?

thanks
Old 06-15-2024, 11:15 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My experience has been that up to about 1.5 cubic inch size 4-C glow engines, an equal displacement gasoline 2-stroke engine can be a suitable replacement. It will have slightly better performance with about about the same weight. For example, my Enya R120-4C makes 12.5 pounds of thrust with a 16x6 prop and my RCGF Stinger 20cc RE engine (20cc = 1.2 cubic inches) makes 14 pounds of thrust with a 16x7 prop. They both weigh within an ounce of each other (with battery). I have a Sig Four Star 60 that was designed for a .61 (10cc) 2C glow or a .91 4C (15cc) glow engine. It flies great with a 15 cc gasser (.91 ci). My friend has a Sig Four Star 120 which was intended for a 1.20 4C glow engine and it flies great with a 20cc 2 stroke gasser. The RCGF Stinger 10cc RE engine is rated for about 8 pounds of thrust. The OS Max FS-60 is rated at 0.89HP. Motion RC carries the NGH 9cc 2 stroke gas engine and it is rated for 1.2 HP. I have not used a NGH engine, but its beam mount, front carburetor design and side exhaust would probably make it easier to fit into into Escapade. So, yes, replacing a .62 4-C glow with a 9, 10 or 11 cc 2-sroke gas engine should be doable... similar weight, similar prop, better power, burns less fuel etc.

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 06-15-2024 at 11:21 AM.